1. Title of the Congress
1st African Regional Martial Arts Congress
2. Date/Time and Venue
Date: 23 (Tuesday) – 24 (Wednesday) October 2018
Time: 09:00am – 17:00pm (each day)
Venue: Ivory Room, Hilton Nairobi Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya (Mama Ngina St, Nairobi, Kenya)
3. Introduction of the Congress
Sharing current status of Martial Arts in Africa and building African Martial Arts network is being organized by UNESCO International Centre of Martial Arts (UNESCO ICM) and the Kenya National Commission for UNESCO (KNATCOM).
Its purpose is to share current status of African Martial Arts and to provide a platform for dialogue as well as to discuss solutions for safeguarding and promoting martial arts in Africa.
Also, it is to acknowledge that challenges and opportunities that impact youth development and engagement into Martial Arts activities.
Martial Arts activities will contribute to youth generation by using its philosophy and values, positive attitudes and personal development and its characteristics.
So, we can ask why we need martial arts for better life and bridging ultimate peace in Africa.
In order to make North-South cooperation for capacity building and encourage and enhance youth participation in martial arts for UNESCO agenda implementation about martial arts and sports vitalization.
Also, it is to promote UENSCO ICM that is an international organization on martial arts into East Africa and to build African martial arts networks for the cooperative developments of it.
On top of this, a place of dialogue for in-depth discussion on current issues of African Martial Arts and youth development with Martial Arts will be provided for martial arts experts and governmental staffs as well as UNESCO personnel in Africa.
Finally, we can build our 1st kind of martial arts network and consider this event to be held annually in another East African country next year.
5. Congress Topics
* [Main] Topic: Martial Arts in Africa and Youth Engagement
- (Sub 1) A current state of African Martial Arts (What are the challenges?)
- (Sub 2) A necessity of Martial Arts and its values (Why do we need Martial Arts?)
- (Sub 3) A role of Martial Arts for African Youth development (What are the opportunities?)
6. Expected Outcomes
- Increased understanding of current status of African Martial Arts and acknowledge its challenges and opportunities for the future.
- Recommendations to the enhancement of youth participation in martial arts.
- Recognise UENSCO ICM’s role and mission in Africa and build African Martial Arts networks.
- Enhanced presence of UNESCO ICM in African Region.
- Establishment of African Regional Martial Arts Network.
- The Congress will be jointly organized by UNESCO International Centre of Martial Arts (UNESCO ICM) and Kenya National Commission for UNESCO (KNATCOM)
8. Correspondence and Contacts
All correspondence regarding the Congress should be addressed to: