Subject Prize Winner Announcement for UNESCO-ICM 2021 Martial Arts Education Prize
ICM is pleased to announce the following Prize Winner for the 『UNESCO-ICM 2021 Martial Arts Education Prize』.
○ Prize Winner: The Kung Fu Nuns of Drukpa, from India.
The Kung Fu Nuns have:
- trained and practiced Kung Fu, to build strength and nurture self-defense skills breaking an old decree of Drukpa lineage of banning nuns from exercising;
- harnessed their martial arts skills and strengths to serve the world and actively participated in solving community issues (e.g. Search & rescue missions after Nepal Earthquakes of 2015 etc.);
- taught Kung Fu and organized workshops for young girls and women in Himalayan region to empower and protect them from extreme sexism, violence against women which are prevalent in the region; and
- contributed to harmonizing diverse religions.
We would like to convey our sincere gratitude to all of participants who applied for the Prize this year, and appreciate your dedication in sustainable development and peace using martial arts education.
We hope for your continued support and participation next year as well.